SubjectRe: Note on 4.10 merge window timing (was Re: Linux 4.9-rc8)
On Wed, Dec 07, 2016 at 10:32:47AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Btw, for anybody with a calendar (or just excellent finger counting
> skills), this should all be obvious, but I thought I'd make it very
> explicit anyway: this means that 4.9 will be released this upcoming
> Sunday, December 11th. Unless something really bad happens.
>
> Now, for people counting along, that would mean that the merge window
> for 4.10 ends two weeks later, on December 25.
>
> That date may look familiar. It's Christmas Day. If you're originally
> from Finland like me, it's the day when you relax after the real
> celebrations, which would be on Christmas Eve.
>
> What does this all mean? It means that I might be doing the actual rc1
> release on the 25th, but I'm sure as hell not going to do any real
> work that day, or even the day before. So realistically, this is going
> to be a truncated merge window, and if you don't send in your pull
> requests in a timely manner, they are going to be dropped on the
> floor.

Could you run this just before cutting 4.10-rc1?

PATT='^[[:blank:]]*#[[:blank:]]*include[[:blank:]]*<asm/uaccess.h>'
sed -i -e "s!$PATT!#include <linux/uaccess.h>!" \
`git grep -l "$PATT"|grep -v ^include/linux/uaccess.h`

Doing that against 4.9 would only cause a bunch of pointless trivial
conflicts during the merge window and would probably need to be run
again to pick the newly added includes of asm/uaccess.h after the end
of the window anyway. It's 100% mechanical search-and-replace - the only
remaining include of asm/uaccess.h should be in linux/uaccess.h and
everything else should switch to asm/uaccess.h. There used to be several
places where linux/uaccess.h would cause trouble (the worst was probably
asm/processor.h on x86), but all of those had been taken out and shot during
the last window and AFAICS nothing new of that sort has appeared in anything
merged into -next.

  Last update: 2016-12-08 01:05    [W:0.037 / U:0.728 seconds]