SubjectRe: Tearing down DMA transfer setup after DMA client has finished
On 06/12/2016 06:12, Vinod Koul wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 07:25:02PM +0100, Mason wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to write a driver within the existing framework?
>
> I think so, looking back at comments from Russell, I do tend to agree with
> that. Is there a specific reason why sbox can't be tied to alloc and free
> channels?

Here's a recap of the situation.

The "SBOX+MBUS" HW is used in several iterations of the tango SoC:

tango3
2 memory channels available
6 devices ("clients"?) may request an MBUS channel

tango4 (one more channel)
3 memory channels available
7 devices may request an MBUS channel :
NFC0, NFC1, SATA0, SATA1, memcpy, (IDE0, IDE1)

Notes:
The current NFC driver supports only one controller.
IDE is mostly obsolete at this point.

tango5 (SATA gets own dedicated MBUS channel pair)
3 memory channels available
5 devices may request an MBUS channel :
NFC0, NFC1, memcpy, (IDE0, IDE1)

If I understand the current DMA driver (written by Mans), client
drivers are instructed to use a specific channel in the DT, and
the DMA driver muxes access to that channel. The DMA driver
manages a per-channel queue of outstanding DMA transfer requests,
and a new transfer is started friom within the DMA ISR
(modulo the fact that the interrupt does not signal completion
of the transfer, as explained else-thread).

What you're proposing, Vinod, is to make a channel exclusive
to a driver, as long as the driver has not explicitly released
the channel, via dma_release_channel(), right?

Regards.

  Last update: 2016-12-06 13:45    [W:0.145 / U:0.104 seconds]