SubjectRe: wl1251 & mac address & calibration data
On 16-12-2016 11:40, Pali Rohár wrote:
> On Friday 16 December 2016 08:25:44 Daniel Wagner wrote:
>> On 12/16/2016 03:03 AM, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
>>> For the new API a solution for "fallback mechanisms" should be
>>> clean though and I am looking to stay as far as possible from the
>>> existing mess. A solution to help both the old API and new API is
>>> possible for the "fallback mechanism" though -- but for that I can
>>> only refer you at this point to some of Daniel Wagner and Tom
>>> Gunderson's firmwared deamon prospect. It should help pave the way
>>> for a clean solution and help address other stupid issues.
>>
>> The firmwared project is hosted here
>>
>> https://github.com/teg/firmwared
>>
>> As Luis pointed out, firmwared relies on
>> FW_LOADER_USER_HELPER_FALLBACK, which is not enabled by default.
>
> I know. But it does not mean that I cannot enable this option at kernel
> compile time.
>
> Bigger problem is that currently request_firmware() first try to load
> firmware directly from VFS and after that (if fails) fallback to user
> helper.
>
> So I would need to extend kernel firmware code with new function (or
> flag) to not use VFS and try only user mode helper.

Why do you need the user-mode helper anyway. This is all static data,
right? So why not cook up a firmware file in user-space once and put it
in /lib/firmware for the driver to request directly. Seems a bit
overkill to have a {e,}udev or whatever daemon running if the result is
always the same. Just my 2 cents.

Regards,
Arend

  Last update: 2016-12-18 11:51    [W:0.149 / U:0.304 seconds]