SubjectRE: [RFC 00/10] implement alternative and much simpler id allocator
Date
From: Matthew Wilcox
> > Heh, I was thinking about that too. The radix tree supports "exceptional
> > entries" which have the bottom bit set. On a 64-bit machine, we could use
> 62
> > of the bits in the radix tree root to store the ID bitmap. I'm a little wary of
> the
> > potential complexity, but we should try it out.
>
> Test patch here: http://git.infradead.org/users/willy/linux-
> dax.git/shortlog/refs/heads/idr-2016-12-16
> It passes the test suite ... which I actually had to adjust because it now succeeds
> in cases where it hadn't (allocating ID 0 without preallocating), and it will now
> fail in cases where it hadn't previously (assuming a single preallocation would
> be enough). There shouldn't be any examples of that in the kernel proper; it
> was simply me being lazy when I wrote the test suite.

Found a bug, committed a fix (and another test case). It now no longer returns -EAGAIN in situations where it wouldn't have, so I've reverted that bit of the test suite change. Still succeeds when it wouldn't have before, but I feel no pressure to change that ;-)

  Last update: 2016-12-18 03:44    [W:0.089 / U:0.156 seconds]