SubjectRe: usb/core: warning in usb_create_ep_devs/sysfs_create_dir_ns
On Tue, 13 Dec 2016, Dmitry Vyukov wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 7:38 PM, Alan Stern <stern@rowland.harvard.edu> wrote:

> >> No.
> >>
> >> OOM is not a WARNING and is easily distinguishable from BUG/WARNING.
> >
> >> Memory allocator does not print WARNINGs on allocation failures.
> >
> > Do you count dev_warn the same as WARN or WARN_ON? What about dev_WARN
> > or pr_warn() or printk(KERN_WARNING...)? Maybe we're not talking about
> > the same messages.
> >
> > The USB subsystem has got tons of dev_warn() and dev_err() calls.
> > Relatively few (if any) of them are for kernel bugs.
>

> I grep for "WARNING:". It is not possible to understand what function
> printed messages on console.
> Here are my current regexps:
> https://github.com/google/syzkaller/blob/master/report/report.go#L29

Ah, okay.

So the take-home message is that we should use WARN* or dev_WARN or
related functions only when reporting an actual kernel bug, whereas in
other circumstances we should avoid mentioning "WARNING" or "BUG" in
log output. In addition, memory allocations where the size is given by
the user (and not limited) should always use the __GFP_NOWARN flag.

I can audit the parts of the USB stack that I'm familiar with for these
things. Anything else? What about "ERROR"? Your regexps don't appear
to search for that.

Alan Stern

  Last update: 2016-12-13 21:12    [W:0.070 / U:0.232 seconds]