SubjectRe: Linux-4.X-rcY patches can't be applied with git?
Hi!

> > But in that case, what if your patch generation script used a filter to
> > exclude those binary files? No harm to that target audience, and it would
> > actually make them behave better for distro builds. Though that might be
> > counter to the goal of making them disappear entirely. :)
>
> Heh, I'd rather people get the warning that "oops, something is
> incomplete". They can still work with the end result, but at least
> they got some indication that hey, that patch didn't work wonderfully
> well...
>
> To be honest, I really would like to not do the tar-balls and patches at all.
>
> But maybe rather than saying "it's only for legacy 'patch' users", I
> could just say that it's getting phased out, and say "you have to use
> 'git apply' to apply them".
>
> Then I could just enable "--binary" and "-M", and see what happens.
>
> I suspect that these days, git is so ubiquitous that it's ok.
>
> And then in a few years, maybe I can just stop doing patches entirely,
> having proved the point that everybody already has git ;)

Well, having git is not quite the same thing as "having big enough
machine to run git on tree as big as kernel". Handheld zaurus was
powerful enough to compile kernel (in few hours) but git was pretty
painful to use there.

I'm now cross-compiling for n900, so problem is gone there, but there
is difference between downloading single release, and downloading full
history when you are on a slow line...

Best regards,

Pavel

  Last update: 2016-11-08 21:45    [W:1.493 / U:0.056 seconds]