SubjectRe: RFC: documentation of the autogroup feature [v2]
Hi Peter,

On 29 November 2016 at 12:46, Peter Zijlstra <peterz@infradead.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 08:43:33AM +0100, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:
>> >
>> > In any case, for the case of autogroup, the behaviour has always been,
>> > autogroups came quite late.
>>
>> This ("the behavior has always been") isn't quite true. Yes, group
>> scheduling has been around since Linux 2.6.24, but in terms of the
>> semantics of the thread nice value, there was no visible change
>> then, *unless* explicit action was taken to create cgroups.
>>
>> The arrival of autogroups in Linux 2.6.38 was different.
>> With this feature enabled (which is the default), task
>
> I don't think the SCHED_AUTOGROUP symbol is default y, most distros
> might have default enabled it, but that's not something I can help.

Actually, it looks to me like it is the default. But that isn't really
the point. Even if the default was off, it's the way of things that
distros will generally default "on" things, because some users want
them. That's a repeated and to be expected pattern.

>> groups were implicitly created *without the user needing to
>> do anything*. Thus, [two terminal windows] == [two task groups]
>> and in those two terminal windows, nice(1) on a CPU-bound
>> command in one terminal did nothing in terms of improving
>> CPU access for a CPU-bound tasks running on the other terminal
>> window.
>>
>> Put more succinctly: in Linux 2.6.38, autogrouping broke nice(1)
>> for many use cases.
>>
>> Once I came to that simple summary it was easy to find multiple
>> reports of problems from users:
>>
>> http://serverfault.com/questions/405092/nice-level-not-working-on-linux
>> http://superuser.com/questions/805599/nice-has-no-effect-in-linux-unless-the-same-shell-is-used
>> https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/1c4jew/nice_has_no_effect/
>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10342470/process-niceness-priority-setting-has-no-effect-on-linux
>>
>> Someone else quickly pointed out to me another such report:
>>
>> https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=149553
>
> Well, none of that ever got back to me, so again, nothing I could do
> about that.

I understand. It's just unfortunate that the (as far as I can see) the
implications were not fully considered before making the change. Such
consideration often springs out of writing comprehensive
documentation, I find ;-).

>> And when I quickly surveyed a few more or less savvy Linux users
>> in one room, most understood what nice does, but none of them knew
>> about the behavior change wrought by autogroup.
>>
>> I haven't looked at all of the mails in the old threads that
>> discussed the implementation of this feature, but so far none of
>> those that I saw mentioned this behavior change. It's unfortunate
>> that it never even got documented.
>
> Well, when we added the feature people (most notable Linus) understood
> what cgroups did. So no surprises for any of us.

Sure, but cgroups is different. It requires explicit action by the
ueser (creating cgroups) to see the behavior.

With autogroups, the change kicks in on the desktop without the user
needing to do anything, and changes desktop behavior in a way that was
unexpected.

Cheers,

Michael

--
Michael Kerrisk

  Last update: 2016-11-29 14:49    [W:0.116 / U:0.172 seconds]