SubjectRe: [fuse-devel] fuse: max_background and congestion_threshold settings
Date
On Nov 16 2016, Maxim Patlasov <mpatlasov@virtuozzo.com> wrote:
> On 11/16/2016 12:19 PM, Nikolaus Rath wrote:

>>> I think that's exhaustive list, but I can miss something.
>>>
>>> As for writing of cached data, that definitely doesn't go through
>>> background requests. Here we rely on flusher: fuse will allocate as
>>> many requests as the flusher wants to writeback.
>>>
>>> Buffered AIO READs actually block in submit_io until fully
>>> processed. So it's just another example of "natural" limitation I told
>>> above.
>> Not sure I understand. What is it that's blocking? It can't be the
>> userspace process, because then it wouldn't be asynchronous I/O...
>
> Surprise! Alas, Linux kernel does NOT process buffered AIO reads in
> async manner. You can verify it yourself by strace-ing a simple
> program looping over io_submit + io_getevents: for direct IO (as
> expected) io_submit returns immediately while io_getevents waits for
> actual IO; in contrast, for buffered IO (surprisingly) io_submit waits
> for actual IO while io_getevents returns immediately. Presumably,
> people are supposed to use mmap-ed read/writes rather than buffered
> AIO.

What about buffered, asynchronous writes when writeback cache is
disabled? It sounds as if io_submit does not block (so userspace could
create an unlimited number), nor can the kernel coalesce them (since
writeback caching is disabled).

Thanks!
-Nikolaus

  Last update: 2016-11-22 23:46    [W:0.132 / U:0.268 seconds]