SubjectRe: wl1251 & mac address & calibration data
Date
On Tuesday 22 November 2016 17:14:28 Michal Kazior wrote:
> On 22 November 2016 at 16:31, Pali Rohár <pali.rohar@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 22 November 2016 16:22:57 Michal Kazior wrote:

> >> Same problem applies to some ath9k/ath10k supported routers. Some
> >> even carry mac address as implicit offset from ethernet mac
> >> address. As far as I understand OpenWRT cooks cal blobs on first
> >> boot prior to loading modules.
> >
> > So... wl1251 on Nokia N900 is not alone and this problem is there
> > for more drivers and devices. Which means we should come up with
> > some generic solution.
>
> This isn't particularly a problem for ath9k/ath10k.
>
> Let me give you more background on ath10k.
>
> ath10k devices can come with caldata and macaddr stored in their
> OTP/EEPROM. In that case a generic "template" board file is used.
> Userspace doesn't need to do anything special.
>
> Some vendors however decide to use flash partition to store caldata.
> In that case ath10k expects userspace to prepare
> cal-$bus-$devname.bin files, each for a different radio (you can
> have multiple radios on a system).
>
> Now translating this for wl1251 I would expect it should also use
> something like wl1251-nvs-sdio-0x0001.bin for devices like N900 that
> have caldata on flash partition (instead of the generic
> wl1251-nvs.bin). I'm not sure if wl1251-nvs.bin is something
> comparable to (the generic) board.bin ath10k has though. Maybe the
> entire idea behind wl1251-nvs.bin is flawed as it's supposed to be
> device specific and is oblivious to possibility of having multiple
> wl1251 radios on one system (probably sane assumption from practical
> standpoint but still).

Basically nvs data are device specific, in ideal case they should be
generated in factory by some calibration process (or so).

> >> You could hook up a script that cooks up the cal/mac file via
> >> modprobe's install hook, no?
> >
> > Via modprobe hook I can either pass custom module parameter or call
> > any other system (shell) commands.
> >
> > As wl1251.ko does not accept mac_address as module parameter, such
> > modprobe hook does not help -- as there is absolutely no way from
> > userspace to set or change (permanent) mac address.
>
> Quoting modprobe.d manual:
> > install modulename command...
> >
> > This command instructs modprobe to run your
> > command instead of inserting the module in the
> > kernel as normal. The command can be any shell
> > command: this allows you to do any kind of
> > complex processing you might wish. [...]

I know. But this do not allow me to send mac address to kernel -- as
kernel does not support such command yet (reason for my first question).

> You can hook up a script that cooks up wl1251-nvs.bin (caldata,
> macaddr) and then insmod the actual wl1251.ko module. Or you can just
> cook up the nvs on first device boot and store it in /lib/firmware
> (possibly overwriting the "generic" wl1251 from linux-firmware).

This is what I would like to prevent -- overwriting (possible readonly)
system files with some device specific. It is really bad idea!

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar@gmail.com

  Last update: 2016-11-22 19:03    [W:0.106 / U:0.356 seconds]