SubjectRe: [PULL REQUEST] Please pull rdma.git
On 11/19/2016 2:46 PM, Or Gerlitz wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 4:01 AM, Doug Ledford <dledford@redhat.com> wrote:
>> On 11/17/2016 5:24 PM, Or Gerlitz wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> I agree with you. It doesn't fix your patch. The commit message can
>> still be fixed up.
>
>>> Please do not send it to Linus and wait for them to respond. I
>>> disagree that it fixes my commit b/c my commit was prior to when
>>> route-able RoCE was introduced and on that time TOS had no relation.
>
>> I agree. A better fix tag would be the commit that added RoCEv2 support.
>
> But this is the smaller part of the problem. The bigger part is that I
> have asked for clarifications on the patch and they didn't provide
> anything.

You asked for clarification on the commit message, I didn't hear any
objections to the content of the patch itself.

> So if you are picking patches where a reviewer comments are
> ignored, what lesson are you teaching the submitter, that he can just
> continue with this practice? why you letting this go that way?

Because I can fix up the log message at any time prior to pulling it
into my official -next branch. Since that's all you objected to, I can
take the patch and wait for the final version of the comments. It's not
a big deal Or.

>>> does a tiny enhancement for a 10y old commit of Roland, why you think
>>> we need it in 4.9-rc6 or 7??
>
>> I don't, it's in the mlx-next branch which means I'll queue it up for
>> the 4.10 merge window. I have no plan on sending that branch for 4.9-rc.
>
> Are you going to comment on that to the submitter? if not, they are
> going to continue with this practice.

Comment on what to the submitter? That the patch might not have been
-rc material? I would have been OK with it around rc1 or rc2, just not
this late in the rc cycle. In the end, I don't, nor can I, rely on
submitters to determine what's RC material and what isn't, that's what
I'm supposed to be doing. I will always apply my own judgment on that
issue and submitters will learn over time when their patches get skipped
on any sort of a regular basis.

> How are we supposed to realize from patchworks + your github branches
> that patches that were submitted for 4.9-rc are picked for 4.10? this
> is very confusing and error prone too.

I emailed the submitters off list about it and provided them a list of
what patches went where and why.

> Please comment also on the bunch of patches I pointed you where the
> copy you have picked into your tree (pulled it from somewhere?) isn't
> what was submitted.

I'm sorry, but you'll have to refresh my memory on this issue.

--
Doug Ledford <dledford@redhat.com>
GPG Key ID: 0E572FDD

  Last update: 2016-11-20 00:12    [W:0.379 / U:0.056 seconds]