SubjectRe: BUG_ON() in workingset_node_shadows_dec() triggers
On Wed, Oct 05, 2016 at 12:18:51PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Quite frankly, I wouldn't do a sed-script pass to actually change
> existing users. I'd just change how the BUG() implementation itself
> works. Not make it a direct WARN_ON(), but perhaps something like
>
> - use WARN_ON() with a global rate limiter (we do *not* want BUG
> cascades, but re-enable the warning after a few minutes)

That's interesting, I had exactly this discussion at kernel recipes
last week with someone complaining that when warnings scroll, you
only see the last ones while only the first one is useful. I guess
in most situations we don't even need a rate limiter, just print a
single dump and wait 2 minutes or so for the person in front of the
screen to have the time to take a photo.

> - have some kernel command line option for the server people to allow
> them to just force a reboot for it

Good point for not doing the sed.

> Hmm?
>
> Anybody want to play with it?

Many people will be much more efficient than me at doing it and even
testing it so I won't volunteer here.

Willy

  Last update: 2016-10-05 23:14    [W:0.659 / U:0.020 seconds]