SubjectRe: [RFC 0/8] Define coherent device memory node
On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 06:26:02PM +0530, Anshuman Khandual wrote:
> On 10/26/2016 12:22 AM, Jerome Glisse wrote:

> >> That is ok if the device touch the page first. What if we want the
> >> allocation touched first by cpu to come from GPU ?. Should we always
> >> depend on GPU driver to migrate such pages later from system RAM to GPU
> >> memory ?
> >>

> > I am not sure what kind of workload would rather have every first CPU access for
> > a range to use device memory. So no my code does not handle that and it is pointless
> > for it as CPU can not access device memory for me.
>
> If the user space application can explicitly allocate device memory directly, we
> can save one round of migration when the device start accessing it. But then one
> can argue what problem statement the device would work on on a freshly allocated
> memory which has not been accessed by CPU for loading the data yet. Will look into
> this scenario in more detail.
>

> > That said nothing forbid to add support for ZONE_DEVICE with mbind() like syscall.
> > Thought my personnal preference would still be to avoid use of such generic syscall
> > but have device driver set allocation policy through its own userspace API (device
> > driver could reuse internal of mbind() to achieve the end result).
>
> Okay, the basic premise of CDM node is to have a LRU based design where we can
> avoid use of driver specific user space memory management code altogether.

And i think it is not a good fit, at least not for GPU. GPU device driver have a
big chunk of code dedicated to memory management. You can look at drm/ttm and at
userspace (most is in userspace). It is not because we want to reinvent the wheel
it is because they are some unique constraint.

> > I am not saying that eveything you want to do is doable now with HMM but, nothing
> > preclude achieving what you want to achieve using ZONE_DEVICE. I really don't think
> > any of the existing mm mechanism (kswapd, lru, numa, ...) are nice fit and can be reuse
> > with device memory.
>
> With CDM node based design, the expectation is to get all/maximum core VM mechanism
> working so that, driver has to do less device specific optimization.

I think this is a bad idea, today, for GPU but i might be wrong.

> > Each device is so different from the other that i don't believe in a one API fit all.
>
> Right, so as I had mentioned in the cover letter, pglist_data->coherent_device actually
> can become a bit mask indicating the type of coherent device the node is and that can
> be used to implement multiple types of requirement in core mm for various kinds of
> devices in the future.

I really don't want to move GPU memory management into core mm, if you only concider GPGPU
then it _might_ make sense but for graphic side i definitly don't think so. There are way
to much device specific consideration to have in respect of memory management for GPU
(not only in between different vendor but difference between different generation).

> > The drm GPU subsystem of the kernel is a testimony of how little can be share when it
> > comes to GPU. The only common code is modesetting. Everything that deals with how to
> > use GPU to compute stuff is per device and most of the logic is in userspace. So i do
>
> Whats the basic reason which prevents such code/functionality sharing ?

While the higher level API (OpenGL, OpenCL, Vulkan, Cuda, ...) offer an abstraction model,
they are all different abstractions. They are just no way to have kernel expose a common
API that would allow all of the above to be implemented.

Each GPU have complex memory management and requirement (not only differ between vendor
but also between generation of same vendor). They have different isa for each generation.
They have different way to schedule job for each generation. They offer different sync
mechanism. They have different page table format, mmu, ...

Basicly each GPU generation is a platform on it is own, like arm, ppc, x86, ... so i do
not see a way to expose a common API and i don't think anyone who as work on any number
of GPU see one either. I wish but it is just not the case.

> > not see any commonality that could be abstracted at syscall level. I would rather let
> > device driver stack (kernel and userspace) take such decision and have the higher level
> > API (OpenCL, Cuda, C++17, ...) expose something that make sense for each of them.
> > Programmer target those high level API and they intend to use the mechanism each offer
> > to manage memory and memory placement. I would say forcing them to use a second linux
> > specific API to achieve the latter is wrong, at lest for now.
>
> But going forward dont we want a more closely integrated coherent device solution
> which does not depend too much on a device driver stack ? and can be used from a
> basic user space program ?

That is something i want, but i strongly believe we are not there yet, we have no real
world experience. All we have in the open source community is the graphic stack (drm)
and the graphic stack clearly shows that today there is no common denominator between
GPU outside of modesetting.

So while i share the same aim, i think for now we need to have real experience. Once we
have something like OpenCL >= 2.0, C++17 and couple other userspace API being actively
use on linux with different coherent devices then we can start looking at finding a
common denominator that make sense for enough devices.

I am sure device driver would like to get rid of their custom memory management but i
don't think this is applicable now. I fear existing mm code would always make the worst
decision when it comes to memory placement, migration and reclaim.

Cheers,
Jérôme

  Last update: 2016-10-26 18:29    [W:0.708 / U:0.664 seconds]