SubjectRe: [RFC] fs/proc/meminfo: introduce Unaccounted statistic
On 10/20/2016 03:33 PM, Michal Hocko wrote:
> On Thu 20-10-16 14:11:49, Vlastimil Babka wrote:
> [...]
>> Hi, I'm wondering if people would find this useful. If you think it is, and
>> to not make performance worse, I could also make sure in proper submission
>> that values are not read via global_page_state() multiple times etc...
>
> I definitely find this information useful and hate to do the math all
> the time but on the other hand this is quite fragile and I can imagine
> we can easily forget to add something there and provide a misleading
> information to the userspace. So I would be worried with a long term
> maintainability of this.

I wouldn't fear this that much. Maybe even on the contrary - if we unknowingly
change the picture by misacounting something, or changing a counter to become
subset of another, and Unaccounted starts to give weird values, it will give us
hint that there's either a problem to fix, or a missed documentation update.

  Last update: 2016-10-21 09:32    [W:1.422 / U:0.036 seconds]