SubjectRe: [dm-devel] WANTED new maintainer for Linux/md (and mdadm)
On 21.12.2015 07:10, NeilBrown wrote:

> hi,
> I became maintainer for md (Linux Software RAID) in late 2001 and on
> the whole it has been fun and a valuable experience. But I have been
> losing interest in recent years (https://lwn.net/Articles/511073/) and
> as was mentioned at the kernel summit, I would like to resign. Some
> years ago I managed to hand over nfsd to the excellent Bruce Fields,
> but I do not seem to have the gift that Linus has of attracting
> maintainers. While there are a number of people who know quite a bit
> about md and/or have contributed to development, there is no obvious
> candidate for replacement maintainer - no one who has already been
> doing significant parts of the maintainer role.
>
> So I have decided to fall back on the mechanism by which I ended up
> being maintainer in the first place. I will create a vacuum and hope
> someone fills it (yes: I was sucked-in....). So as of 1st February
> 2016 I will be resigning.
>
> At the kernel summit in October Linus talked about the value of
> maintainership teams (https://lwn.net/Articles/662979/). I think it
> would be great if a (small) team formed to continue to oversee md
> rather than just a single individual (or maybe the dm team could extend
> to include md??). If I had managed to be part of a team rather than
> "going it alone" for so long, I might feel less tired of the whole
> thing now.
>
> I don't see it as my place to appoint that team or any individuals, or
> even to nominate any candidates. A very important attribute of a
> maintainer is that they need to care about the code and the subsystem
> and I cannot tell other people to care (or even know if they do). It
> is really up to individuals to volunteer. A few people have been
> mentioned to me in earlier less-public conversations. Any of them may
> well be suitable, but I would rather they named themselves if
> interested.
>
> So I'm hoping to get one or more volunteers to be maintainer:
> - to gather and manage patches and outstanding issues,
> - to review patches or get them reviewed
> - to follow up bug reports and get them resolved
> - to feed patches upstream, maybe directly to Linus,
> maybe through some other maintainer, depending on what
> relationships already exist or can be formed,
> - to guide the longer term direction (saying "no" is important
> sometimes),
> - to care,
> but also to be aware that maintainership takes real effort and time, as
> does anything that is really worthwhile.
>
> This all applies to mdadm as well as md (except you would ultimately
> *be* upstream for mdadm, not needing to send it anywhere). Even if a
> clear team doesn't form it would be great if different people
> maintained mdadm and md.
>
> One part of the job that I have put a lot of time in to is following
> the linux-raid@vger.kernel.org list and providing support. This makes
> [...]

Hi Neil,

I've been maintaining the custom Linux kernels, custom MD and custom
mdadm since more than 4 years at ProfitBricks now. I've learned a lot
from you. Thank you very much for all the efforts! I will definitely
miss you in the MD/mdadm maintainer role. I especially like that you
care for all Linux distributions/kernel versions. That's what a real
upstream is about. I wish you all the best for the future!

Unfortunately my public activity has been very limited as company
interests always have priority. I would really like to help maintaining
MD/mdadm upstream but I would need an employer who pays me for that and
provides access to the required hardware.

In my leisure time I already maintain the upstream Linux memory scanner
project scanmem/GameConqueror.

Cheers,
Sebastian

  Last update: 2016-01-04 12:01    [W:0.130 / U:0.156 seconds]