SubjectRe: [BUG REPORT] Soft Lockup in smp_call_function_single+0xD8
From
On 1/25/16, Jeff Merkey <linux.mdb@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/25/16, Jeff Merkey <linux.mdb@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I am running down a trace of the MSR values for swapgs. Looks like it
>>> got nested somewhere down in the entry_64 code. If so, then this is
>>> just a symptom and not the sickness.
>>>
>>> Jeff
>>>

>> I got to the bottom of this one and its related to the function loop
>> locking up the system that is described above when code is allowed to
>> run on one processor but not the others and one of them is trying to
>> send an IPI.
>>
>> You might want to consider some sort of timeout logic for that
>> function or ability for it to recover. The problem is caused by
>> holding all the processors except the target processor being traced
>> and letting it run for a trace session while the other processors are
>> held suspended. If I release the all processors each time I step
>> with the target processor the problem goes away. If I hold the
>> processors while stepping over a section of code this lockup will
>> occur and the processor the bug occurs on apparently never recovers
>>
>> In the process of tracking down this bug I traced all of the swapgs
>> usage in all of the exception handlers and it works well. The check
>> in paranoid_entry and paranoid_exit seems to catch the cases where the
>> debugger is or has stepped over a swapgs instruction pointing to a gs
>> in userspace for both int1 and int3 exceptions, and recovers correctly
>> through paranoid_entry and paranoid exit with the correct gs and MSR
>> value in all the cases I traced.
>>
>> I coded around this issue but it's probably a bug in using that while
>> loop without some way to determine a processor has gone away
>> temporarily. The solution is to let the processors run in between
>> each and every int1 trap and not hold a processor in focus mode, then
>> this code snippet that locks up in smp.c does not get hit.
>>
>> Jeff
>>

> I guess Linus has already been trying to fix this problem since he was
> the last person to touch that code. Looks like there is another case
> where csd_unlock does not get called or is delayed.
>
> https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/8053871d0f7f67c7efb7f226ef031f78877d6625
>
> I think I'll work on this one some more and see if I can fix it. It
> still shows up after stepping through a sysret even with my changes,
> its just harder to trigger. It crashes at exactly the same place in
> the stacktrace from the same source so there's a clue to start with.
>
> Jeff

This bug is confirmed to be an int1 recursion that happens because the
sysret code in entry_64.S allows return to userspace with the trap
flag set. The last person to try to fix this was from this commit --
Ingo.

https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/4d7321381e5c7102a3d3faf0a0a0035a09619612

for this reported problem.

http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1504.0/00594.html

I verified that I am seeing the same problem here, it also exposes a
bug in Linus code in smp.c. I have that fixed as well -- use a
spinlock and don't try to guess what order hardware will post bus
transactions for memory reads and writes. That code in smp.c is
busted on some systems.

I have a fix for this problem and Ingo needs to review this code
because I have set the trap flag and watched is cycle through this
code in entry_64.S while set and still end up executing a sysret when
its not supposed to and take the other return path.

Jeff

  Last update: 2016-01-30 09:41    [W:0.065 / U:0.116 seconds]