SubjectRe: [RFC 0/2] drm/dsi: DSI for devices with different control bus
Thierry,

On 08/21/2015 11:39 AM, Archit Taneja wrote:

> On 08/20/2015 05:18 PM, Thierry Reding wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 09:46:14AM +0530, Archit Taneja wrote:
>>> Hi Thierry, Lucas,

>>> Thanks for the review.
>>>
>>> I implemented this to support ADV7533 DSI to HDMI encoder chip, which
>>> has a DSI video bus and an i2c control bus.
>>>
>>> There weren't any quirks as such in the device tree when I tried to
>>> implement this. The DT seems to manage fine without a node
>>> corresponding to a mipi_dsi_device:
>>>
>>> i2c_adap@.. {
>>> adv7533@.. {
>>>
>>> port {
>>> adv_in: endpoint {
>>> remote-endpoint = <&dsi_out>;
>>> };
>>> };
>>> };
>>> };
>>>
>>> dsi_host@.. {
>>>
>>> port {
>>> dsi_out: endpoint {
>>> remote-endpoint = <&adv_in>;
>>> }
>>> };
>>> };
>>>
>>> It's the i2c driver's job to parse the graph and retrieve the
>>> phandle to the dsi host. Using this, it can proceed with
>>> registering itself to this host using the new dsi funcs. This
>>> patch does the same for the adv7533 i2c driver:
>>>
>>> http://www.spinics.net/lists/dri-devel/msg86840.html

>>> Could you explain what you meant by this? I.e. describing the kind
>>> of DSI device?
>>
>> Describing the number of lanes, specifying the virtual channel, mode
>> flags, etc. You could probably set the number of lanes and mode flags
>> via the I2C driver, but especially the virtual channel cannot be set
>> because it isn't known to the I2C DT branch of the device.
>
> I agree with the VC part. It could be a DT entry within the i2c client
> node, but that does make it seem like a quirk. The 'reg' way under the
> DSI host is definitely better to populate the virtual channel.
>

>>> The dsi device created isn't really a dummy device as such. It's
>>> dummy in the sense that there isn't a real dsi driver associated
>>> with it. The dsi device is still used to attach to a mipi dsi host,
>>> the way normal dsi devices do.
>>
>> I understand, but I don't see why it has to be instantiated by the I2C
>> driver, that's what I find backwards. There is already a standard way
>> for instantiating DSI devices, why not use it?
>
> I assumed we could either represent the device using an i2c driver, or
> dsi, but not both. Hence, I came up with this approach.

>>> With the fused approach you suggested, we would have 2 drivers: one i2c
>>> and the other dsi. The i2c client driver would be more or less minimal,
>>> preparing an i2c_client device for the dsi driver to use. Is my
>>> understanding correct?
>>
>> Correct. That's kind of similar to the way an HDMI encoder driver would
>> use an I2C adapter to query EDID. The i2c_client device would be a means
>> for the DSI driver to access the control interface.

> [...]

I implemented the ADV7533 driver with the approach you suggested above
(2 drivers for 2 different components of the chip). I posted it out
just a while back (with you in loop).

The DT node with this apporach would look like this:

https://github.com/boddob/linux/blob/c24cbf63a6998d00095c10122ce5e37b764c7dba/arch/arm64/boot/dts/qcom/apq8016-sbc.dtsi#L162

The main irritant with the '2 driver' approach is that we need to
share the per-device driver data with them. For ADV7533, I've made
the i2c driver allocate driver data (struct adv7511).

The dsi driver gets the driver data in the following way:

- The i2c driver sets the driver data as its client data using
i2c_set_clientdata()
- Parse the i2c-control phandle to get the corresponding i2c client.
- Extract the adv7511 struct by getting i2c_get_clientdata()

This way of getting the same driver data is a bit strange, but it
works. For this, we do need to ensure that the dsi driver defers
as long as the i2c driver isn't probed.

I've now implemented both approaches for the driver. The first using
a dummy dsi device, and this one using 2 drivers (with both being
represented in DT). The advantage of the latter is that we don't need
to create any dummy device stuff, the disadvantage is that DT is a bit
uncommon.

Can we now come to a conclusion on what approach is better?

Thanks,
Archit

a Linux Foundation Collaborative Project

  Last update: 2015-09-07 14:01    [W:0.166 / U:1.848 seconds]