SubjectRe: [4.2, Regression] Queued spinlocks cause major XFS performance regression
From
On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 8:14 AM, Peter Zijlstra <peterz@infradead.org> wrote:

> The reason we chose to revert to a test-and-set is because regular fair
> locks, like the ticket and the queue thing, have horrible behaviour
> under vcpu preemption.

Right. However, with our old ticket locks, that's what we got when you
didn't ask for paravirt support. No?

So this seems to be a misfeature - you made the hypervisor "support"
unconditional. Even a kernel compiled for raw hardware now does that
"let's act differently under a hypervisor", which I think is quite
debatable to begin with, but when that "act differently" is then
complete garbage, it's a disaster.

And even ignoring the "implementation was crap" issue, some people may
well want their kernels to be "bare hardware" kernels even under a
hypervisor. It may be a slim hypervisor that gives you all the cpus,
or it may just be a system that is just sufficiently overprovisioned,
so you don't get vcpu preemption in practice.

But it would be interesting to hear if just fixing the busy-looping to
not pound the lock with a constant stream of cmpxchg's is already
sufficient to fix the big picture problem.

Linus

  Last update: 2015-09-04 17:41    [W:0.166 / U:0.216 seconds]