SubjectRe: stop breaking dosemu (Re: x86/kconfig/32: Rename CONFIG_VM86 and default it to 'n')
03.09.2015 15:01, Austin S Hemmelgarn пишет:
> On 2015-09-02 17:12, Stas Sergeev wrote:

>>> How about CONFIG_SYSCTL_VM86_DEFAULT which defaults to Y? Fedora
>>> could set it to N.
>> Sorry, I don't understand this sysctl proposal.
>> Could you please educate me what is it all about?
>> This sysctl will disable or enable the vm86() syscall at run-time,
>> right? What does it give us? If you disable something in the
>> config, this gives you, say, smaller kernel image. If OTOH you
>> add the run-time switch, it gives you a bigger image, regardless
>> of its default value.
>> I might be missing something, but I don't understand what
>> problem will this solve? Have I missed some earlier message
>> in this thread?
> The problem this solves is not kernel size, that is not the only reason for wanting to disable a system call. In this case, it's a system call that is unused by all but a very few programs, which are
> in turn used by a small percentage of users, and said system call does quite a few things that are potentially very dangerous. Disabling it reduces the attack surface of the system.
Well, thanks for explaining the marketing part of the problem
(initially I wasn't aware, but now Andy already spelled it too),
but the reality is different.

  Last update: 2015-09-03 14:41    [W:0.100 / U:15.252 seconds]