SubjectRe: Build regressions/improvements in v4.3-rc3
On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 03:50:16PM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> Hi Russell,
>
> On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 11:48 AM, Russell King - ARM Linux
> <linux@arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:
> > Also, a great many of the failures are due to the build toolchain not
> > supporting -fstack-protector-strong. I think it's absolutely right
> > for the build to error out if you enable a kernel feature which requires
> > toolchain support, but the toolchain does not support that feature.
> >
> > What this means is that the build results from kissb are less than
> > useful - without spending ages looking at every single build, it's
> > hard to find the real failures we care about.
> >
> > I'd suggest that either the randconfig is seeded to ensure that
> > CONFIG_CC_STACKPROTECTOR_STRONG is always disabled in ARM randconfigs,
> > or that the ARM toolchain is updated to support this feature.
>
> Or that it's impossible to enable this feature if your toolchain doesn't
> support it?

I think that would require kconfig to call out to the compiler to run
a test build. This kind of thing has been talked about in the past
but the feature never seems to appear - probably because it would end
up increasing the kconfig startup time in every case.

according to speedtest.net.

  Last update: 2015-09-28 16:21    [W:0.059 / U:0.140 seconds]