SubjectRe: [Linux 4.2-rc8+...v4.3-rc2] REGRESSION: ppp: circular locking dependency detected: [pppd] ppp_dev_uninit() | rtnl_lock()
From
On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 7:58 AM, Sedat Dilek <sedat.dilek@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 8:00 PM, David Miller <davem@davemloft.net> wrote:
>> From: Sedat Dilek <sedat.dilek@gmail.com>
>> Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2015 18:19:16 +0200
>>
>>> OK, I guess DaveM will take your patch into net.git#master first...
>>> and tag it there with CC-stable?
>>
>> I do not tag anything with stable.
>>
>> I queue it up into a patchwork bundle and explicitly submit those
>> patches to stable@vger.kernel.org at a time of my own choosing.
>>
>> This is a FAQ, documented in the kernel Documentation/ subdirectory.
>
> OK, so this is a special handling for netdev?
> I normally look at "SubmittingPatches" documentation [1] and looked in
> this case especially at [2].
> Can you point me to this "FAQ"?

OK, I found it by myself.

[ Documentation/stable_kernel_rules.txt ]

"Procedure for submitting patches to the -stable tree:

- If the patch covers files in net/ or drivers/net please follow netdev stable
submission guidelines as described in
Documentation/networking/netdev-FAQ.txt"

[ Documentation/networking/netdev-FAQ.txt ]

"Q: I have created a network patch and I think it should be backported to
stable. Should I add a "Cc: stable@vger.kernel.org" like the references
in the kernel's Documentation/ directory say?

A: No. See above answer. In short, if you think it really belongs in
stable, then ensure you write a decent commit log that describes who
gets impacted by the bugfix and how it manifests itself, and when the
bug was introduced. If you do that properly, then the commit will
get handled appropriately and most likely get put in the patchworks
stable queue if it really warrants it.

If you think there is some valid information relating to it being in
stable that does _not_ belong in the commit log, then use the three
dash marker line as described in Documentation/SubmittingPatches to
temporarily embed that information into the patch that you send."

[3] collects all netdev "stable" patches.

I hope I remember that for the next time dealing with such issues.

- Sedat -

[1] http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/Documentation/stable_kernel_rules.txt#n30
[2] http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/Documentation/networking/netdev-FAQ.txt#n155
[3] http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/bundle/davem/stable/?state=*

> Where do you include Guillaume's patch - in net.git#master?
>
> Since Linux v4.2 my Internet connection via UMTS/HSPA USB modem is "unstable".
> For me this is an important fix.
>
> Thanks.
>
> - Sedat -
>
> [1] http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/Documentation/SubmittingPatches
> [2] http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/Documentation/SubmittingPatches#n297

  Last update: 2015-09-25 11:21    [W:0.056 / U:0.036 seconds]