SubjectRe: Problems with printk logs and my driver
On Thu, 24 Sep 2015, Jiri Kosina wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Sep 2015, Alan Stern wrote:
>
> > Your mistake was thinking that the driver for your keyboard is usbkbd.
> > It isn't. It's usbhid, as you can see in the "lsusb -t" output above.
>
> As Eric is absolutely not the first person ever who got confused by this
> (and I can certainly understand the reasons for this confusion), I've been
> thinking for quite some time already about renaming this driver (and
> usbmouse as well). We'd probably want to make obvious from the name that
> this isn't regular usb keyboard driver.
>
> Any opinions on usbkbd-simple or usbkbd-dummy? The most accurate would of
> course be usbkbd-boot, but that might be equally confusing.

I prefer -simple over -dummy. Even better would be usbkbd-alt.

> The drawback I can see in renaming the driver is various embedded folks
> having he name hardcoded in their scripts.

Yes, that's a real problem. Similar considerations apply to .config
files, if you also change the Kconfig symbol name.

Alan Stern

  Last update: 2015-09-24 23:01    [W:0.069 / U:0.976 seconds]