SubjectRe: First kernel patch (optimization)
On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 09:21:58PM +0100, Eric Curtin wrote:
> On 16 September 2015 at 21:02, Greg KH <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 05:03:39PM +0100, Eric Curtin wrote:
> >> Hi Greg,
> >>
> >> As I said in the subject of the mail (which I have been since told I
> >> shouldn't have done this), I'm a noob to kernel code. I tried to pick
> >> off something super simple to just see what the process of getting a
> >> patch in is. Youtube videos and documentation only get you so far.

> >> micro-optimizations in future? Getting in smaller patches is easier
> >> for me as I only do this in my spare time, which I don't have a lot
> >> of!
> >
> > micro-optimizations are great, if you can actually measure them and they
> > matter :)
> >
> > If you are looking for someplace to start, might I recommend the
> > drivers/staging/ directory? I take all sorts of "basic" cleanup
> > patches, and there are loads of things to do in there. Look at the
> > drivers/staging/*/TODO files for specific examples of what needs to be
> > done to get these files cleaned up and fixed properly.
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> >
> > greg k-h
>
> I have realized this now after reading
> http://kernelnewbies.org/FirstKernelPatch, should have done a bit more
> reading before I submitted something. I'm looking at the
> drivers/staging/android stuff now.

The android code is all pretty "clean" right now, nothing there for
anyone who is not an Android kernel developer to do. Parts are about to
be deleted, and others (i.e. ION), has to stay as-is while we wait for
other kernel bits to get merged (see the updated README file in
linux-next for details about that.)

So I'd recommend something else in the staging tree, android is a bit of
an exception as to why it is in that part of the kernel at the moment...

thanks,

greg k-h

  Last update: 2015-09-17 01:01    [W:1.754 / U:0.612 seconds]