SubjectRe: [RFC 3/5] powerpc: atomic: implement atomic{,64}_{add,sub}_return_* variants
On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 01:45:07PM +0100, Will Deacon wrote:
> [left the context in the hope that we can make some progress]
>
> On Wed, Sep 02, 2015 at 10:59:06AM +0100, Will Deacon wrote:

> > > I certainly hope that no one expects foo == bar == 0 to be prohibited!!!
> >
> > I just thought it was worth making this point, because it is prohibited
> > in SC and I don't want people to think that our RELEASE/ACQUIRE operations
> > are SC (even though they happen to be on arm64).
> >
> > > On the other hand, in this case, foo == bar == 1 will be prohibited:
> > >
> > > P0
> > > foo = smp_load_acquire(&y);
> > > smp_store_release(&x, 1);
> > >
> > > P1
> > > bar = smp_load_acquire(&x);
> > > smp_store_release(&y, 1);
> >
> > Agreed.

> > > If I understand your example correctly, neither x86 nor Power implement
> > > a full barrier in this case. For example:
> > >
> > > P0
> > > WRITE_ONCE(a, 1);
> > > smp_store_release(b, 1);
> > > r1 = smp_load_acquire(c);
> > > r2 = READ_ONCE(d);
> > >
> > > P1
> > > WRITE_ONCE(d, 1);
> > > smp_mb();
> > > r3 = READ_ONCE(a);
> > >
> > > Both x86 and Power can reorder P0 as follows:
> > >
> > > P0
> > > r1 = smp_load_acquire(c);
> > > r2 = READ_ONCE(d);
> > > WRITE_ONCE(a, 1);
> > > smp_store_release(b, 1);
> > >
> > > Which clearly shows that the non-SC outcome r2 == 0 && r3 == 0 is allowed.
> > >
> > > Or am I missing your point here?
> >
> > I think this example is slightly different. Having the RELEASE/ACQUIRE
> > operations being reordered with respect to each other is one thing, but
> > I thought we were heading in a direction where they combined to give a
> > full barrier with respect to other accesses. In that case, the reordering
> > above would be forbidden.
> >
> > Peter -- if the above reordering can happen on x86, then moving away
> > from RCpc is going to be less popular than I hoped...
>
> Peter, any thoughts? I'm not au fait with the x86 memory model, but what
> Paul's saying is worrying.

The herd tool has an x86 mode, which will allow you to double-check
my scenario. This tool is described in "Herding Cats: Modelling,
Simulation, Testing, and Data-mining for Weak Memory" by Alglave,
Marenget, and Tautschnig. The herd tool is available at this git
repository: https://github.com/herd/herdtools.

Thanx, Paul

  Last update: 2015-09-11 19:41    [W:0.120 / U:0.224 seconds]