SubjectRe: [LINUX RFC v2 0/4] spi: add dual parallel mode support in Zynq MPSoC GQSPI controller
From
On 26 August 2015 at 11:56, Ranjit Waghmode <ranjit.waghmode@xilinx.com> wrote:
> This series adds dual parallel mode support for Zynq Ultrascale+
> MPSoC GQSPI controller driver.
>
> What is dual parallel mode?
> ---------------------------
> ZynqMP GQSPI controller supports Dual Parallel mode with following functionalities:
> 1) Supporting two SPI flash memories operating in parallel. 8 I/O lines.
> 2) Chip selects and clock are shared to both the flash devices
> 3) This mode is targeted for faster read/write speed and also doubles the size
> 4) Commands/data can be transmitted/received from both the devices(mirror),
> or only upper or only lower flash memory devices.
> 5) Data arrangement:
> With stripe enabled,
> Even bytes i.e. 0, 2, 4,... are transmitted on Lower Data Bus
> Odd bytes i.e. 1, 3, 5,.. are transmitted on Upper Data Bus.
>
> This series also updated MTD layer files for adding parallel mode support.
>
> 1) Added Support for two flashes
> 2) Support to enable/disable data stripe as and when required.
> 3) Added required parameters to spi_nor structure. Initialized all
> added parameters in spi_nor_scan()
> 4) Added support for dual parallel in spi_nor_read/write/erase functions by:
> a) Increasing page_size, sector_size, erase_size and toatal flash size
> as and when required.
> b) Dividing address by 2
> c) Updating spi->master->flags for qspi driver to change CS
> 5) Updated read_sr() to get status of both flashes
> 6) Also updated read_fsr() to get status of both flashes
>
> These all are very high level changes and expected to make an idea clear.
> Comments and suggestions are always welcomed
>
> ---
> V2 Changes:
> a) Splitted patches based on logical changes
> b) Added error handling for newly added APIs in SPI core
> ---
>
> Ranjit Waghmode (4):
> spi: add support of two chip selects & data stripe
> mtd: add spi_device instance to spi_nor struct
> spi-nor: add dual parallel mode support
> spi: zynqmp: gqspi: add support for dual parallel mode configuration

I don't find any previous discussion about way to inform flash
dual-ness into spi-nor
from spi drivers.

Here is my idea, probably others may think same.
Informing dual_flash from drivers/spi through flags or any other mode
bits is not a better approach as dual flash feature is specific to
spi-nor flash controller (controller specially designed for spi-nor
flash not the generic spi controller). So if the driver sits on
drivers/mtd/spi-nor/ (ex: fsl-quadspi.c), may be we can inform flash
specific things to spi-nor as it's not touching generic spi stack in
Linux. But there is a defined-drawback if the driver is moved to
drivers/mtd/spi-nor ie it can't use spi core API's at-all.

thanks!
--
Jagan | openedev.

  Last update: 2015-08-26 14:41    [W:0.242 / U:0.252 seconds]