SubjectRe: [regression] x86/signal/64: Fix SS handling for signals delivered to 64-bit programs breaks dosemu
13.08.2015 22:01, Andy Lutomirski пишет:
> On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 11:57 AM, Stas Sergeev <stsp@list.ru> wrote:
>>> Ok. So I'm inclined to do the bigger revert, just to fix the compile
>>> issue. It would be crazy to force some silly autoconf script for
>>> random header info.
>> But OTOH these fields already lost their meaning.
>> It may make sense to force people to stop using them,
>> in case you ever want to re-use them again in the future.
>> From what Andy says, it seems there are the distant plans
>> to start restoring FS again. If people still use sigcontext.fs
>> by that time, you'll get problems. If you force everyone to
>> stop using them - you'll be safe.
> There are distant plans to think about restoring them, at least. But
> it's not just FS -- it's FSBASE as well, and that's not going to fit
> in the same slot. And we still don't get to break old DOSEMU versions
> (knowingly, anyway).
>
>> In fact, I think the "silly autoconf script" you mentioned above,
>> should indeed be reverted, and instead I should use
>> sigcontext.reserved1[8] array to store FS/GS? Is this
>> safer against ever re-using this space? Not sure...
> Honestly, I'd just save it somewhere outside sigcontext. If it's
> application data, treat it as such. OTOH, if you've already been
> saving it in the old FS/GS slots, I see no great reason to change it.
OK, as you promise not to re-use the same slots in the future,
I won't change it. Thanks.
As for the compilation failure - I am surprised you even care.
I thought the "we don't break userspace" covers only run-time,
not compile-time. Oh well.

  Last update: 2015-08-13 21:41    [W:0.161 / U:0.060 seconds]