SubjectRe: [RFC 1/4] mm, compaction: introduce kcompactd
On Thu, 23 Jul 2015, Joonsoo Kim wrote:

> > The slub allocator does try to allocate its high-order memory with
> > __GFP_WAIT before falling back to lower orders if possible. I would think
> > that this would be the greatest sign of on-demand memory compaction being
> > a problem, especially since CONFIG_SLUB is the default, but I haven't seen
> > such reports.
>
> In fact, some of our product had trouble with slub's high order
> allocation 5 months ago. At that time, compaction didn't make high order
> page and compaction attempts are frequently deferred. It also causes many
> reclaim to make high order page so I suggested masking out __GFP_WAIT
> and adding __GFP_NO_KSWAPD when trying slub's high order allocation to
> reduce reclaim/compaction overhead. Although using high order page in slub
> has some gains that reducing internal fragmentation and reducing management
> overhead, benefit is marginal compared to the cost at making high order
> page. This solution improves system response time for our case. I planned
> to submit the patch but it is delayed due to my laziness. :)

Hi Joonsoo,

On a fragmented machine I can certainly understand that the overhead
involved in allocating the high-order page outweighs the benefit later and
it's better to fallback more quickly to page orders if the cache allows
it.

I believe that this would be improved by the suggestion of doing
background synchronous compaction. So regardless of whether __GFP_WAIT is
set, if the allocation fails then we can kick off background compaction
that will hopefully defragment memory for future callers. That should
make high-order atomic allocations more successful as well.

  Last update: 2015-07-23 23:01    [W:0.082 / U:0.416 seconds]