SubjectRe: [GIT RFC PULL rcu/urgent] Prevent Kconfig from asking pointless questions
On Mon, 20 Apr 2015 18:22:58 -0700
"Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 04:50:07PM -0500, Clark Williams wrote:
> > On Mon, 20 Apr 2015 14:15:04 -0700

> > > For the grace-period kthreads and the boost kthread, that is the case.
> > > It is also the case for the per-CPU kthreads that invoke RCU callbacks
> > > for the non-offloaded RCU_BOOST configuration (and that replace all
> > > softirq RCU work in -rt).
> > >
> > > So, should I just ditch all of the priority-setting within RCU and tell
> > > users to just use chrt?
> >
> > Looks to me like all we need to do is tell people if they need a boost
> > higher than the compiled in default (RCU_KTHREAD_PRIO), then chrt the
> > priority of the rcub thread to the desired priority.
>
> There's the rub. They also need to chrt the RCU grace-period kthreads
> as well as the per-CPU kthreads (rcuc). Which is a pain and easy to
> get wrong.
>
> So at this point, I am leaning towards keeping RCU_KTHREAD_PRIO, but
> hiding it behind RCU_EXPERT. Someone in an emergency situation can use
> chrt to get RCU going, at least assuming that they had the foresight to
> leave a prio-99 shell running somewhere and assuming that they do the
> chrt before the system hits OOM. But they have to do all that anyway
> if they were to use a sysfs or similar interface. And it is easy to
> tell when you have boosted all the necessary kthreads because RCU
> grace periods start advancing once again. You don't get that feedback
> when you set things up at boot time. ;-)
>
> So again, at least for the moment, I believe that RCU need not provide
> a run-time interface for changing RCU kthread priorities, that the
> RCU_KTHREAD_PRIO Kconfig parameter should remain, except that it needs
> to be hidden behind RCU_EXPERT, and that the rcutree.kthread_prio=
> kernel-boot parameter should also remain.
>
> Seem reasonable?

Does chrt override the kthread_prio at run time? If so, then great.
Otherwise, the sysadmin should still have a way to control their
priorities of kernel threads (with few exceptions like the migration
thread).

-- Steve

  Last update: 2015-04-21 15:41    [W:1.367 / U:0.108 seconds]