SubjectRe: [RFC 0/6] the big khugepaged redesign
On 02/24/2015 11:32 AM, Vlastimil Babka wrote:
> On 02/23/2015 11:56 PM, Andrew Morton wrote:

>>> There are plenty of examples of this, ie for Oracle:
>>>
>>> https://blogs.oracle.com/linux/entry/performance_issues_with_transparent_huge
>>
>> hm, five months ago and I don't recall seeing any followup to this.
>
> Actually it's year + five months, but nevertheless...
>
>> Does anyone know what's happening?

So I think that post was actually about THP support enabled in .config slowing
down hugetlbfs, and found a followup post here
https://blogs.oracle.com/linuxkernel/entry/performance_impact_of_transparent_huge and
that was after all solved in 3.12. Sasha also mentioned that split PTL patchset
helped as well, and the degradation in IOPS due to THP enabled is now limited to
5%, and possibly the refcounting redesign could help.

That however means the workload is based on hugetlbfs and shouldn't trigger THP
page fault activity, which is the aim of this patchset. Some more googling made
me recall that last LSF/MM, postgresql people mentioned THP issues and pointed
at compaction. See http://lwn.net/Articles/591723/ That's exactly where this
patchset should help, but I obviously won't be able to measure this before LSF/MM...

I'm CCing the psql guys from last year LSF/MM - do you have any insight about
psql performance with THPs enabled/disabled on recent kernels, where e.g.
compaction is no longer synchronous for THP page faults?

Thanks,
Vlastimil

  Last update: 2015-03-05 17:41    [W:0.342 / U:1.168 seconds]