SubjectRe: "Unkillable processes" and INFO: task ... blocked for more than 120 seconds
Date
Hello,

I can add that this problem seems to be reproducible for me so either
some change in one of the latest kernel updates caused this or something
on my system hardware is starting to fail...

If I open "a few" photos on GIMP (enough to get the application memory
usage above 40%) then I'm able to close GIMP without any problems but it
seems to get stuck in exactly the same way as it happened the first time.

My system kernel: Linux manuelspc 3.18.6-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Feb 7
08:44:05 CET 2015 x86_64 GNU/Linux

On 02/20/2015 06:13 PM, Manuel Reimer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> today, I had the following problem:
>
> I was editing a few photos in GIMP and after I finished with that, I
> tried to close GIMP which failed. KDE offered me to terminate the
> application which also didn't work.
>
> So I opened a terminal and tried "killall -9 gimp" --> No success
>
> Next I tried "pgrep gimp" to get the PID of the hanging process. With
> the result that pgrep now also got stuck with hangup of my whole shell.
>
> A "strace pgrep gimp" told me that pgrep actually hung up on a read on
> "/proc/18294/cmdline" so I guessed that this could be my hanging GIMP
> process. But even "kill -9 18294" was not able to kill the process.
>
> So I switched over to a VT shell and logged in as root which at first
> hung up the login shell, but was fixable by pressing "Ctrl + C". Even as
> root I was unable to kill GIMP.
>
> The kernel didn't actually crash. My music player continued to play
> nicely and my mail client was fully usable.
>
> I saved some log output to pastebin: http://pastebin.com/FPDvyePJ
>
> What has been happening here? Why is it possible that I actually get
> non-killable processes?
>
> If you need additional information, please ask.
>
> Thank you very much in advance.
>
> Manuel

  Last update: 2015-02-20 18:41    [W:0.047 / U:0.092 seconds]