SubjectRe: SDHCI long sleep with interrupts off
On Thu, 17 Dec 2015 12:39:20 +0100
Ulf Hansson <ulf.hansson@linaro.org> wrote:

> On 17 December 2015 at 12:27, Lucas Stach <l.stach@pengutronix.de> wrote:
> > Am Donnerstag, den 17.12.2015, 12:20 +0100 schrieb David Jander:
> >> Hi Lucas,
> >>
> >> Thanks for reacting.

> >> ... or not having a CD pin at all.
> >> I am using an embedded eMMC chip and a uSD card inserted into a slot. The
> >> card is present and also detected as such. If I never access the card, I
> >> see no spikes (filesystem is mounted but not accessed). If I try to read
> >> a file or directory I get the above trace.
> >> OTOH, if I disable PM functionality in the kernel, the spike is gone, and
> >> worst-case latency is in the 300us range, so I don't think this is
> >> related to card polling.
> >>
> > You may be right. If the SDHCI host gets runtime suspended it needs a
> > reset after waking up, causing this latency.
> >
> > Killing the sdhci spinlock may not be straight forward, as a lot of code
> > paths need to be audited for irq safety, but it's the only thing to fix
> > this properly.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Lucas
> >

> If/when you decide to fix this issue. Please keep in mind the following
> things.
>
> - Try to convert the SDHCI into a pure library. No more quirks or callbacks.
> - I assume we can simplify lots of code if we convert SDHCI into using
> a threaded IRQ in favour of the tasklet.
>
> Any patches that moves SDHCI into this direction will be greatly appreciated!

Ok, this sounds like a good way to go. Unfortunately it also sounds like a
major endeavor, for which good knowledge of the SDHCI standard is necessary.
This knowledge is based on documentation that is not openly available without
cost AFAIK. This probably also explains why there hasn't been a real fix ever.
On top of that, the whole sdhci code is unmaintained currently as it seems.
I was studying the code a bit more, and I now understand that I am not even
close to having the experience and standards-knowledge it takes to pull this
off reliably. I guess the one who takes on this task may as well become
official maintainer afterwards...
OTOH, we pretty much depend on this driver now, since all of our new i.MX6/7
boards have eMMC flash. We also use the flexcan peripheral on all designs,
which is specially sensible to these latency spikes, so we will have to do
something on the long run.... we cannot live forever with disabled PM ;-)

Best regards,

--
David Jander
Protonic Holland.

  Last update: 2015-12-17 13:41    [W:0.087 / U:0.132 seconds]