SubjectRe: mm: remove vmalloc info from /proc/meminfo
From
On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 10:36 AM, Dave Jones <dsj@fb.com> wrote:
> Reading /proc/meminfo is really slow, as it requires recomputing the
> vmalloc data every time, which is a lot of work, when most (all?)
> consumers of meminfo don't even care about those statistics.

Ahh. My version of this patch (which I actually committed yesterday,
since I remembered - will wonders never cease?) leaves the fields
around in the /proc/meminfo file, but just makes the values be zero.
It also removes the actual function to compute the data that nobody
uses any more.

I agree that we can eventually look at even removing the fields
entirely, but that's much more likely to break things. I can imagine
system tools that just root around for values, and break and complain
when they don't exist, even if all they do is report them (rather than
actually *use* them for anythign).

I guess I should just push out my tree. I didn't want to keep people
from testing plain 4.3, so I didn't push out yesterday.

Can you test what is now (where "now" means "it might take a minute or
two to mirror out") in my git repo?

Linus

  Last update: 2015-11-02 20:41    [W:0.041 / U:0.296 seconds]