    SubjectRe: x86, microcode: BUG: microcode update that changes x86_capability
    On Thu, 25 Sep 2014, Borislav Petkov wrote:
    > > But IMHO we still need to detect and do something smart when
    > > x86_capability changes due to a microcode update.
    > >
    > > And I'd really prefer it to be "update x86_capability, warn the user and
    > > carry on" for anything that is not going to crash the kernel.
    >
    > The problem is with hiding CPUID bits and userspace using HLE after
    > having detected it previously. I think we'll be on the safe side if we

    It is safe to apply this particular batch of problematic microcode updades
    inside the regular initramfs, as long as you do it as one of the very first
    tasks.

    This isn't an useless fix, it will allow systems without early initramfs
    support to operate correctly after a microcode update. And kernels 3.0, 3.2
    and 3.4 _cannot_ apply early initramfs microcode updates at all, so they
    need it.

    Besides, we need to detect and scream bloody murder when microcode updates
    do something like this anyway, now that the pandora box was opened. If
    we're going to detect it, might as well fix it when it is not something the
    kernel uses.

    Henrique Holschuh

      Last update: 2014-09-25 14:01    [W:2.414 / U:0.032 seconds]