    SubjectRe: [3.13.y.z extended stable] Linux 3.13.11.7 stable review
    Adding in hpa as he has objected to the current naming scheme as well.

    On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 09:17:31AM -0600, Tim Gardner wrote:
    > On 09/15/2014 07:26 PM, Greg KH wrote:

    > >> I think what Kamal said is that he would consider your request. I,
    > >> however, don't think it wise to change version schemes mid-stream in an
    > >> established series.
    > >
    > > Even if that "established series" is the thing that is causing
    > > complaints?
    > >
    > >> Can you provide hard evidence that this version scheme is confusing lots
    > >> of people ? I'm only aware of one complaint voiced by Peter Anvin at the
    > >> kernel summit (http://lwn.net/Articles/608917/).
    > >
    > > Peter's complaint is one that I know of that is in the public record.
    > >
    > > So is mine.
    > >
    > > How many others do you need?
    > >

    > This is a seriously silly argument over an _opinion_ of what is
    > "confusing", and so far I am not feeling moved by the number of contrary
    > opinions.

    So, what would it take to "move" you?

    People have expressed the fact that the naming by your team of these
    kernels is confusing. Users are thinking these are being done on the
    kernel.org infrastructure, due to a lack of any non "numeric" digit in
    the kernel version. Adding a 4th number, while great, seems to not be
    enough to be able to easily determine the difference here.

    > Our version scheme makes sense from a Debian perspective in that it
    > indicates exactly when the Canonical branch was started.

    I agree, but it does not convey it is a "Canonical branch" at all on
    its own. Which is causing the confusion here.

    > It also has the
    > advantage of being distinguishable from the kernel.org version.

    By the "trailing digit", i.e. ".y", only. It's just an aditional
    number, not a "vendor version mark", like most packaging systems all
    incorporate to show obviously that there is a difference from the
    "upstream" release here.

    > I _want_ the consumer to be aware of where they have acquired their
    > kernel sources (as if the git URL is insufficient). Frankly, if the
    > version is an _enduring_ source of confusion, then perhaps the
    > consumer should seek other endeavors.

    You are really trying to use the "if the user is so dumb to understand,
    they should just go away" argument here? I value our users more than
    that, they are the only reason we will survive over time. You will not
    succeed by going around calling them names.

    greg k-h

      Last update: 2014-09-16 20:21    [W:2.317 / U:0.092 seconds]