    SubjectRe: Random panic in load_balance() with 3.16-rc

    torvalds wrote:

    > [...]
    > Actually, I prefer my patch that did it with cc-option checking, and
    > does it unconditionally.
    >
    > Because if we do it even for non-debug builds - where it ostensibly
    > shouldn't matter - we then have that GCC_COMPARE_DEBUG thing working
    > regardless of configuration.

    Please note that the data produced by "-g -fvar-tracking" is consumed
    by tools like systemtap, perf, crash, and makes a significant
    difference to the observability of debug AND non-debug kernels. (The
    presence of compiled-in DEBUG_* self-checking code is orthogonal to
    kernel observability via debuginfo.) Please consider only disabling
    var-tracking optionally/temporarily to work around this already-fixed
    compiler bug, but not losing high-quality dwarf data permanently.

    - FChE

      Last update: 2014-07-28 16:01    [W:7.904 / U:0.388 seconds]