SubjectRe: sizeof (struct tYpO *) : it is just a typo or rather a bug ?
On Thu, 24 Jul 2014, Toralf Förster wrote:
> Inspired by this "typo" fix
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1754640
> I grep'ed the current git tree of linus for similar issues.

I wonder if we couldn't use Coccinelle to do that? I would say it would be
not as cool as deep grep magick, but Coccinelle is cool by definition and
therefore immune from any such comparisons :-)

> Nevertheless I was told, that gcc doesn't complain about such things due
> to eventually evaluating it to "sizeof(null)". I'm however curious if at
> least a warning should be emitted in such a case, or?

Well, it cannot become a real bug because the moment the code changes to
actually access/derreference such a typo, it will cause the compiler to
abort with an error. If gcc will have to waste a measurable amount of time
to issue such a warning, it is not worth it.

OTOH, such typos could confuse someone reading the code into thinking
they're dealing with a different structure or something, and it _is_
incorrect code no matter how harmless, so it makes sense to fix all such
typos eventually.

Henrique Holschuh