SubjectRe: Power-managing devices that are not of interest at some point in time
Date
On Saturday, July 19, 2014 01:59:01 PM Alan Stern wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Jul 2014, Benson Leung wrote:
> > > This raises an interesting question. Suppose the system gets suspended
> > > while the lid is closed. At that point, shouldn't wakeup devices be
> > > enabled, even if they were already inhibited?
> >
> > It's possible that this could be a policy decision, ie, whether
> > power/wakeup is set to enabled for those devices or not.
> > However, I'd say that there's only one policy that makes sense in that
> > case : wakeups should be disabled while suspended.
> >
> > If we inhibited the device during runtime to prevent stray input
> > events from being generated, it wouldn't make sense to allow the
> > device to potentially generate an accidental wakeup while suspended.
>
> That doesn't really make sense. If you're afraid of a device
> generating spurious wakeup events when the lid is closed, you should
> never enable it for wakeup. After all, one of the first things that
> people often do after suspending their laptop is close the lid.

That's a fair point, and I think should be done by default. But that does not
change what Benson said - I think if we inhibited the device it should stay
inhibited across system suspend, including being disabled as wakeup source
even if it could be enabled as such.

Thanks,
Dmitry

  Last update: 2014-07-19 21:01    [W:0.065 / U:0.884 seconds]