SubjectRe: Cryogenic: Enabling Power-Aware Applications on Linux
On 04/12/2014 12:05 AM, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!

>>> Do you have any measurements how much power it actually saves?
>>
>> Yes, it depends on the device, but we have demonstrated power
>> savings for two different types of devices using two different
>> measurement setups performed by two independent groups. Some
>> of the measurements are available on the website, the second
>> set should become available "soon" (but we can already say that
>> for the scenario we measured, the savings are in the same range
>> as before).
>
> The video I seen.... AFAICT the savings are in <10% range?

For the scenario we scripted, yes. But note that we only
allowed 50% of the packets transmitted to be delayed (a bit).
If you were to increase the allowed delay or allowed a larger
fraction of packets to be delayed, you should see larger savings.

> I seen demo on UDP packets... delayed TCP socket write is probably
> easy, but would API allow delayed TCP connect?

Yes.

> Hmm, but the API needs redoing, anyway, fcntl()?

Depends --- while I like the idea, I did not hear enough to be
certain that having this feature embedded in such a non-modular
way was already the consensus (and I do not see a reasonable
way to change the API this way while maintaining the modularity
of the current code).
[unhandled content-type:application/pgp-keys]

  Last update: 2014-04-12 02:21    [W:0.082 / U:0.144 seconds]