lkml.org 
[lkml]   [2014]   [Mar]   [11]   [last100]   RSS Feed
Views: [wrap][no wrap]   [headers]  [forward] 
 
Messages in this thread
/
Date
From
SubjectRe: [PATCH v5] can: xilinx CAN controller support.
On 03/11/2014 03:08 PM, Appana Durga Kedareswara Rao wrote:

>>>>> + struct napi_struct napi;
>>>>> + u32 (*read_reg)(const struct xcan_priv *priv, enum xcan_reg reg);
>>>>> + void (*write_reg)(const struct xcan_priv *priv, enum xcan_reg reg,
>>>>> + u32 val);
>>>>> + struct net_device *dev;
>>>>> + void __iomem *reg_base;
>>>>> + unsigned long irq_flags;
>>>>> + struct clk *aperclk;
>>>>> + struct clk *devclk;
>>>>
>>>> Please rename the clock variables to match the names in the DT.
>>>>
>>> The clock names are different for axi CAN and CANPS case.
>>> So will make them as busclk and devclk Are you ok with this?
>>
>> Why not "ref_clk" and "aper_clk" as used in the DT?
>>
> One of the comments I got from the Soren(sorenb@xilinx.com)
> Is the clock-names must match the data sheet.
> If I Modify the clock names then it is different names for AXI CAN
> and CANPS case.

Sorry, my faul, I thought the names are already these from the
datasheet. As Sören pointed out please use 's_axi_aclk' and
'can_clk' for the DT and for the the variable names in the private
struct, too.

The 'official' name of the ip core seems to be axi_can, should we rename
the driver? I suspect, that Michal wants to keep xilinx in the name for
marketing reasons :P

[...]

>>>>> +/**
>>>>> + * xcan_chip_start - This the drivers start routine
>>>>> + * @ndev: Pointer to net_device structure
>>>>> + *
>>>>> + * This is the drivers start routine.
>>>>> + * Based on the State of the CAN device it puts
>>>>> + * the CAN device into a proper mode.
>>>>> + *
>>>>> + * Return: 0 on success and failure value on error */ static int
>>>>> +xcan_chip_start(struct net_device *ndev) {
>>>>> + struct xcan_priv *priv = netdev_priv(ndev);
>>>>> + u32 err;
>>>>> + unsigned long timeout;
>>>>> +
>>>>> + /* Check if it is in reset mode */
>>>>> + err = set_reset_mode(ndev);
>>>>> + if (err < 0)
>>>>> + return err;
>>>>> +
>>>>> + err = xcan_set_bittiming(ndev);
>>>>> + if (err < 0)
>>>>> + return err;
>>>>> +
>>>>> + /* Enable interrupts */
>>>>> + priv->write_reg(priv, XCAN_IER_OFFSET, XCAN_INTR_ALL);
>>>>> +
>>>>> + /* Check whether it is loopback mode or normal mode */
>>>>> + if (priv->can.ctrlmode & CAN_CTRLMODE_LOOPBACK)
>>>>> + /* Put device into loopback mode */
>>>>> + priv->write_reg(priv, XCAN_MSR_OFFSET,
>>>> XCAN_MSR_LBACK_MASK);
>>>>> + else
>>>>> + /* The device is in normal mode */
>>>>> + priv->write_reg(priv, XCAN_MSR_OFFSET, 0);
>>>>> +
>>>>> + if (priv->can.state == CAN_STATE_STOPPED) {
>>>>
>>>> Your device is in stopped mode, add you go though set_reset_mode()
>>>> already.
>>>
>>> Will remove this if condition I putted this condition here because in
>>> set_reset_mode we are putting the Device state in Stopped state.
>>
>> So the device is in CAN_STATE_STOPPED, as this code just went through
>> set_reset_mode() some lines ago. so it makes no sense to check if it
>> (still) is (the code runs serialized here).
>>
>
> After removing the if condition and the line(CAN_STATE_STOPPED from
> the set_reset_mode) the code for chip_start is below It is better to
> check whether it is really Configured in the loopback or normal mode
> That's why kept the loops as it is.
>
> static int xcan_chip_start(struct net_device *ndev)
> {
> struct xcan_priv *priv = netdev_priv(ndev);
> u32 err;
> unsigned long timeout;
>
> /* Check if it is in reset mode */
> err = set_reset_mode(ndev);
> if (err < 0)
> return err;
>
> err = xcan_set_bittiming(ndev);
> if (err < 0)
> return err;
>
> /* Enable interrupts */
> priv->write_reg(priv, XCAN_IER_OFFSET, XCAN_INTR_ALL);
>
> /* Check whether it is loopback mode or normal mode */
> if (priv->can.ctrlmode & CAN_CTRLMODE_LOOPBACK)
> /* Put device into loopback mode */
> priv->write_reg(priv, XCAN_MSR_OFFSET, XCAN_MSR_LBACK_MASK);
> else
> /* The device is in normal mode */
> priv->write_reg(priv, XCAN_MSR_OFFSET, 0);

What about using two temp variables? Like this (untested, though):

u32 reg_msg;
u32 reg_sr_mask;

if (priv->can.ctrlmode & CAN_CTRLMODE_LOOPBACK) {
reg_msr = XCAN_MSR_LBACK_MASK;
reg_sr_mask = XCAN_SR_LBACK_MASK;
} else {
reg_msr = 0x0;
reg_sr_mask = XCAN_SR_NORMAL_MASK;
}

priv->write_reg(priv, XCAN_MSR_OFFSET, reg_msr);
priv->write_reg(priv, XCAN_SRR_OFFSET, XCAN_SRR_CEN_MASK);

timeout = jiffies + XCAN_TIMEOUT;
while (!(priv->read_reg(priv, XCAN_SR_OFFSET) & reg_sr_mask)) {
if (time_after(jiffies, timeout)) {
netdev_warn(ndev, "time out waiting for correct mode\n")
return -ETIMEDOUT;
}
usleep_range(500, 10000);
}

>
> priv->write_reg(priv, XCAN_SRR_OFFSET, XCAN_SRR_CEN_MASK);
> timeout = jiffies + XCAN_TIMEOUT;
> if (priv->can.ctrlmode & CAN_CTRLMODE_LOOPBACK) {
> while ((priv->read_reg(priv, XCAN_SR_OFFSET)
> & XCAN_SR_LBACK_MASK) == 0) {
> if (time_after(jiffies, timeout)) {
> netdev_warn(ndev,
> "timedout for loopback mode\n");
> return -ETIMEDOUT;
> }
> usleep_range(500, 10000);
> }
> } else {
> while ((priv->read_reg(priv, XCAN_SR_OFFSET)
> & XCAN_SR_NORMAL_MASK) == 0) {
> if (time_after(jiffies, timeout)) {
> netdev_warn(ndev,
> "timedout for normal mode\n");
> return -ETIMEDOUT;
> }
> usleep_range(500, 10000);
> }
> }
> netdev_dbg(ndev, "status:#x%08x\n",
> priv->read_reg(priv, XCAN_SR_OFFSET));
>
> priv->can.state = CAN_STATE_ERROR_ACTIVE;
> return 0;
> }

Marc

--
Pengutronix e.K. | Marc Kleine-Budde |
Industrial Linux Solutions | Phone: +49-231-2826-924 |
Vertretung West/Dortmund | Fax: +49-5121-206917-5555 |
Amtsgericht Hildesheim, HRA 2686 | http://www.pengutronix.de |

[unhandled content-type:application/pgp-signature]
\
 
 \ /
  Last update: 2014-03-11 16:02    [W:0.188 / U:0.660 seconds]
©2003-2017 Jasper Spaans. hosted at Digital OceanAdvertise on this site