SubjectRe: [RFC 5/7] soc: qcom: Add Shared Memory Driver
On Thu 30 Oct 06:34 PDT 2014, Ohad Ben-Cohen wrote:

> Hi Bjorn,
>
> On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 2:38 AM, Bjorn Andersson
> <bjorn.andersson@sonymobile.com> wrote:
> > My concern is that merging SMD into rpmsg will still give us two different
> > solutions, except that they will be deeply tangled.
>
> I agree.
>
> It's very clear that SMD and rpmsg are different. But fundamentally,
> they do exactly the same: new messages are placed in a ring buffer and
> then an interrupt is triggered.
>
> If Qualcomm wanted to adopt rpmsg I'm confident there would have been
> no technical barriers to do so.

Their wish list seems long, but I think you're right :)

> But given that SMD is not going anywhere, I personally hope that you
> could at least avoid having two different implementations of it merged
> upstream.

Looking at the lack of functionality in mach-msm it seems like it's quite a lot
of work getting to a point where anyone could actually test smd on those devices.

If anyone have any input on how I get a piece of user space that will run with
mainline and communicate with the modem to test this I'm happily listening.

Regards,
Bjorn

  Last update: 2014-10-30 16:21    [W:0.090 / U:0.200 seconds]