SubjectRe: [Lsf-pc] [LSF/MM TOPIC] really large storage sectors - going beyond 4096 bytes
On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 10:57:48AM +0000, Mel Gorman wrote:
> So far on the table is
>
> 1. major filesystem overhawl
> 2. major vm overhawl
> 3. use compound pages as they are today and hope it does not go
> completely to hell, reboot when it does

Is the below paragraph an exposition of option 2, or is it an option 4,
change the VM unit of allocation? Other than the names you're using,
this is basically what I said to Kirill in an earlier thread; either
scrap the difference between PAGE_SIZE and PAGE_CACHE_SIZE, or start
making use of it.

The fact that EVERYBODY in this thread has been using PAGE_SIZE when they
should have been using PAGE_CACHE_SIZE makes me wonder if part of the
problem is that the split in naming went the wrong way. ie use PTE_SIZE
for 'the amount of memory pointed to by a pte_t' and use PAGE_SIZE for
'the amount of memory described by a struct page'.

(we need to remove the current users of PTE_SIZE; sparc32 and powerpc32,
but that's just a detail)

And we need to fix all the places that are currently getting the
distinction wrong. SMOP ... ;-) What would help is correct typing of
variables, possibly with sparse support to help us out. Big Job.

--
Matthew Wilcox Intel Open Source Technology Centre
a retrograde step."

  Last update: 2014-01-30 06:41    [W:0.097 / U:0.112 seconds]