SubjectRe: powerpc allmodconfig build broken due to commit 15863ff3b (powerpc: Make chip-id information available to userspace)
On 09/09/2013 04:55 PM, Asai Thambi S P wrote:
> On 09/08/2013 5:28 PM, Guenter Roeck wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> powerpc allmodconfig build on the latest upstream kernel results in:
>>
>> ERROR: ".cpu_to_chip_id" [drivers/block/mtip32xx/mtip32xx.ko] undefined!
>>
>> This is due to commit 15863ff3b (powerpc: Make chip-id information available to userspace).
>> Not surprising, as cpu_to_chip_id() is not exported.
>>
> Apart from the above error, I have a concern on the patch, purely based on the commit message.
> (to be honest, I am not familiar with the ppc architecture)
>
> Commit message of 15863ff3b has the following text.
>
> ******************
> So far "/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpuX/topology/physical_package_id"
> was always default (-1) on ppc64 architecture.
>
> Now, some systems have an ibm,chip-id property in the cpu nodes in
> the device tree. On these systems, we now use this information to
> display physical_package_id
>
> Shouldn't the new definition of "topology_physical_package_id" apply only to those systems supporting ibm,chip-id property?

Looking into the code, I think that is what it does. For other platforms
(ie if there is no ibm,chip-id property) it still returns -1.

Question for the fix is what path to take to fix the problem.
Exporting cpu_to_chip_id() might be the easiest solution. Other
platforms export the respective data, so it should not be a problem.

I might submit a patch and see where it goes.

Guenter