SubjectRe: [RFC] extending splice for copy offloading
From
On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 5:34 PM, J. Bruce Fields <bfields@fieldses.org> wrote:

>> > I suppose, but can't the app achieve a nice middle ground by copying the
>> > file in smaller syscalls? Avoid bulk data motion back to the client,
>> > but still get notification every, I dunno, few hundred meg?
>>
>> Yes. And if "cp" could just be switched from a read+write syscall
>> pair to a single splice syscall using the same buffer size.
>
> Will the various magic fs-specific copy operations become inefficient
> when the range copied is too small?

We could treat spice-copy operations just like write operations (can
be buffered, coalesced, synced).

But I'm not sure it's worth the effort; 99% of the use of this
interface will be copying whole files. And for that perhaps we need a
different API, one which has been discussed some time ago:
asynchronous copyfile() returns immediately with a pollable event
descriptor indicating copy progress, and some way to cancel the copy.
And that can internally rely on ->direct_splice(), with appropriate
algorithms for determine the optimal chunk size.

Thanks,
Miklos

  Last update: 2013-09-26 20:21    [W:0.570 / U:0.180 seconds]