SubjectRe: "memory" binding issues
Date
On Tue, 17 Sep 2013 09:56:39 +0200, Tomasz Figa <tomasz.figa@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday 16 of September 2013 15:48:22 Olof Johansson wrote:

> > > Well, this is a mistake ARM folks might have done from day one but it
> > > should still be fixed :-)
> > >
> > > A node that has a "reg" property should have the corresponding unit
> > > address.
> >
> > No, absolutely _NOT_ a requirement. Unit address is only required if
> > needed to disambiguate two properties with the same name.
> >
> > If there are no ambiguities, then leaving off the unit address is much
> > preferred.
>
> I'm afraid that I must disagree. For consistency I'd rather go with what
> Ben said. Please see ePAPR chapter 2.2.1.1, which clearly defines how
> nodes should be named.

Regardless of the ePAPR spec, there is loads of precidence of having a
single memory node without the unit address, and we have to continue to
support those device trees. Just do a "git grep 'memory ' arch/*/boot/dts/*"
to get a big list. You'll note that there are a lot of powerpc matches
in that list.

Similarly, if the kernel chokes on memory node(s) that have the unit
address then that is a bug and needs to be fixed.

g.

  Last update: 2013-09-18 08:41    [W:0.110 / U:0.372 seconds]