SubjectRe: GPT detection regression in efi.c from commit 27a7c64
On 09/13/2013 02:07 PM, Davidlohr Bueso wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-09-13 at 13:01 -0400, Matt Porter wrote:
>> On 09/13/2013 12:28 PM, Davidlohr Bueso wrote:
>>> Cc'ing Linus.

>>> *sigh*. So Microsoft decided to do its own version of the GPT specs.
>>
>> Don't sound so surprised. :)
>>
>>> Up until now, Linux was incorrectly enforcing pMBR checks: not
>>> recognizing valid labels and vice versa, as with the case you are
>>> mentioning now. The changes that went in the 3.12 merge window attempt
>>> to address those concerns, enforcing the correct checks - which is also
>>> how Linux partitioning tools do it (fdisk, parted).
>>
>> Understood, and we are fixing our own manufacturing tool that was used
>> to prepopulate the eMMC. I definitely prefer to have this correct for my
>> case.
>
> Come to think of it, we do have a long existing workaround: the
> force_gpt option. Setting it will bypass any MBR checking
> (is_pmbr_valid(), specifically).

Yes, that's what I used at first after seeing what the problem was. But
then I opted to fix my PMBR.

I felt like it was a regression since it required a new option passed on
the cmdline.

-Matt

  Last update: 2013-09-13 20:21    [W:0.046 / U:0.756 seconds]