SubjectRe: PEBS bug on HSW: "Unexpected number of pebs records 10" (was: Re: [GIT PULL] perf changes for v3.12)
On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 07:15:19AM -0700, Stephane Eranian wrote:
> The threshold is where to generate the interrupt. It does not mean
> where to stop PEBS recording.

It does, since we don't set a reset value. So once a PEBS assist
happens, that counter stops until we reprogram it in the PMI.

> So it is possible that in HSW, we may
> get into a situation where it takes time to get to the handler to stop
> the PMU. I don't know how given we use NMI. Well, unless we were
> already servicing an NMI at the time. But given that we stop the PMU
> almost immediately in the handler, I don't see how that would
> possible. The other oddity in HSW is that we clear the NMI on entry
> to the handler and not at the end. I never gotten an good explanation
> as to why that was necessary. So maybe it is related...

Even if the PMI was delayed that counter would never do another entry.
So I really don't see how we can have more than nr_counters PEBS entries
in the buffer.

  Last update: 2013-09-10 17:41    [W:0.084 / U:0.060 seconds]