SubjectRe: WARNING: at drivers/iommu/dmar.c:484 warn_invalid_dmar with Intel Motherboard
On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 01:53:15AM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-07-09 at 17:18 -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> >
> > I meant warning as in pr_warn or dev_warn, not WARNING as in traceback.
> > Keep in mind that a casual user doesn't expect to see a traceback and will tend
> > to get alarmed. Several bugs have been filed against this "issue" in various
> > distributions, which is not surprising given the alarmist message.
> > What is the point of that ?
>
> It is warning you that your hardware is broken. Take it back to the
> place from which you purchased it, and ask for your money back if it
> isn't fixed.
>
> (Slightly) more seriously, this level of warning *does* get things
> fixed, and when kerneloops was running it made it very easy to track
> this kind of issue and apply pressure where it was needed to improve
> quality.
>
> Any user who has taken the trouble to file bugs has *also* taken it up
> with their firmware vendor, I hope?

No idea ... but have you ever tried that as a private entity ?

If there is a secret list of people to contact at vendor X to get things
like this one fixed, please let me know ;).

Thanks,
Guenter

  Last update: 2013-07-10 23:48    [W:0.057 / U:0.124 seconds]