SubjectRe: linux-next: manual merge of the char-misc tree with Linus' tree
Hi Greg,

On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 12:26:49 -0700 Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 03:01:29PM +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> >
> > Today's linux-next merge of the char-misc tree got a conflict in
> > drivers/misc/mei/init.c between commit 99f22c4ef24c ("mei: don't have to
> > clean the state on power up") from Linus' tree and commit b950ac1dabfc
> > ("mei: don't get stuck in select during reset") from the char-misc tree.
> >
> > (Unrelated white space changes are a pest :-()
> >
> > I fixed it up (see below) and can carry the fix as necessary (no action
> > is required).
>
> Thanks, I've merged the char-misc-next branch into 3.11-rc3, so this
> merge problem should no longer be there.

Unfortunately, I think this is exactly the sort of back merge that Linus
hates. He and I are quite capable of coping with relatively complex
merge conflicts, so ones like this are really not a problem (and "git
rerere" takes care of it once I have resolved it the first time). That
is why I added "no action is required" to my notification messages.
These messages are really more "this is what I did, please tell me if I
did something wrong", not "please fix this up" (I know this message from
me has changed over time - we can all learn, even us oldies :-))

Also, if you are doing a merge of fixes that you have submitted to
Linus, it is probably better to merge your fixes branch rather that
Linus' tree after he has merged it - that way you are not dragging
irrelevant stuff from Linus' tree into yours and complicating the git
history/bisecting so much.

Of course, if you need something from Linus' tree that someone else put
there to continue development, then you need to back merge Linus' tree,
but after rc2 or 3 that should be rare. And, of course, such a back
merge needs a good changelog explaining exactly why it was done.
--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell sfr@canb.auug.org.au

  Last update: 2013-07-30 02:41    [W:0.088 / U:0.216 seconds]