SubjectRe: [RFC] clk: add flags to distinguish xtal clocks
Hi Mike,

On Fri, 2013-07-05 at 10:54 +0300, Luciano Coelho wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-07-04 at 16:19 -0700, Mike Turquette wrote:
> > Quoting Luciano Coelho (2013-07-04 15:37:45)
> > >
> > > It's the same clock input in the chip's perspective. One clock input
> > > that can be any of the combinations I mentioned above. Again, I'm not
> > > familiar with clocks, so I guess the square vs. sine explanation is
> > > plausible. What I could see in the firmware is that it handles the
> > > clocks differently if they're xtal or not.
> >
> > OMAP has a similar thing where sys_clkin (the fast reference clock for
> > the chip) can be 19.2, 26, 38.4, etc. This is easy to handle since only
> > the rates matter.
>
> Right, this part is easy and I already have the code for that. What I'm
> missing is a way to pass this XTAL flag to the chip.
>

> > In your case you need some extra metadata to know what to do. I'm really
> > not sure if CLK_IS_TYPE_XTAL is the most useful form this metadata can
> > take. It would be best to know if the waveform is what you really need
> > to know, or perhaps something else. For instance you might be affected
> > by some clock signal stabilization time. Can you talk to your hardware
> > guys and figure it out? I'd rather model the actual needs instead of
> > just tossing a flag in there.
>
> I get your point. I have tried to investigate how this flag is used by
> the firmware and I could see that it is used to set different "buffer
> gains" and "delays" when waking up (I guess this means when the clock is
> starting, so probably related to stabilization time). They specify two
> "modes", "boost" and "normal" and use different delay values for each.

I tried but I couldn't find any more information on how exactly this
works. But since this change is really simple and there seems to be
other people who need the same information, couldn't we add it as is and
try to figure out more specific information about the clocks later on?

Even if XTAL is not that useful if we know the other details, at least
it wouldn't hurt to have the flag there anyway.

--
Cheers,
Luca.

  Last update: 2013-07-29 16:01    [W:0.167 / U:0.016 seconds]