SubjectRe: Enable arm_global_timer for Zynq brakes boot
Hi,

adding LKML and LAKML (which I forgot on the original email, sorry)

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 01:13:48PM -0700, Sören Brinkmann wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 12:54:26PM -0700, Stephen Boyd wrote:

> > > Turns out it does work when I disable Zynq's cpuidle driver. I think I
> > > can blame that driver.
> > >

> > Hmm.. Perhaps the arm_global_timer driver also needs FEAT_C3_STOP added
> > to it. Do you know if that timer is reset during low power modes?
>
> Our cpudidle driver is not powering off anything, AFAIK. I think it just
> executes 'wfi' on the CPU. I don't know how the timer core handles it,
> but I'd expect the CPU should find the timer just a it was left before
> entering idle (well, the timer continues to run I assume, but other than
> that).
> I'll do some debugging and see if I can find out what exactly causes the
> hang.

So, what I found:
The Zynq cpuidle driver provides two idle states, which are both
basically just ARM wfi states. But the second one set's these flags:
.flags = CPUIDLE_FLAG_TIME_VALID | CPUIDLE_FLAG_TIMER_STOP,

I don't know what these flags cause in detail. But the
CPUIDLE_FLAG_TIMER_STOP seemed suspicious, since wfi does not have any
effect on the timer. So, I removed that one and things are working.

I also tried the other approach: Leaving cpuidle as is and adding the
C3STOP flag to the global timer. That solves it too.

Does anybody know what the correct solution is?
In case the C3STOP flag is considered to be corret for the timer, I
could prepare a patch for that and bundle it with the one to enable the
timer for Zynq?

@Michal: What do we do about the cpuidle driver? If you asked me, we
should rip out the second state completely. We have it as disabled
placeholder in our vendor tree and it seems to break things having it
enabled in mainline.

Sören