    SubjectRe: [ 00/19] 3.10.1-stable review

    * Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:

    > On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 1:41 PM, Sarah Sharp
    > <sarah.a.sharp@linux.intel.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > Oh, FFS, I just called out on private email for "playing the victim
    > > card". I will repeat: this is not just about me, or other minorities.
    > > I should not have to ask for professional behavior on the mailing lists.
    > > Professional behavior should be the default.
    >

    > [...]
    >
    > Because if you want me to "act professional", I can tell you that I'm
    > not interested. I'm sitting in my home office wearign a bathrobe. The
    > same way I'm not going to start wearing ties, I'm *also* not going to
    > buy into the fake politeness, the lying, the office politics and
    > backstabbing, the passive aggressiveness, and the buzzwords. Because
    > THAT is what "acting professionally" results in: people resort to all
    > kinds of really nasty things because they are forced to act out their
    > normal urges in unnatural ways.

    Sarah, that's a pretty potent argument by Linus, that "acting
    professionally" risks replacing a raw but honest culture with a
    polished but dishonest culture - which is harmful to developing
    good technology.

    That's a valid concern. What's your reply to that argument?

    Thanks,

    Ingo

      Last update: 2013-07-18 18:21    [W:4.621 / U:0.004 seconds]